Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas in the Caribbean







Merry Christmas everybody! I spent my first Christmas in the Caribbean! It was the first one I've ever spent eating dinner outdoors under the shade of a golden apple tree (golden apples look to be in the mango family). We had turkey, ham, boiled vegetables, rice and peas, salad, mac and cheese, sweet potatoes (not the same as the ones we eat at home and not cloaked in brown sugar and marshmallows), pork (the pork they usually serve here is a hunk that was sliced straight off the pig, it includes the skin, a layer or fat and a layer of muscle.) I am not a fan of that kind of pork but there were plenty of other things for me to enjoy. Besides, I wondered if it was my unfortunate friend from outside and when I inquired everyone laughed! Probably not a good sign. We all ate until "our belly's full" and then ate cake for dessert. You can see in the photo my little sis stuffed her belly very full! The night before I had carolers and one of them I recognized as a member of the community group I belong to. The leader of the group was playing a guitar made from a coconut. The songs they played were tropical and nice and I was touched they came to my house. I didn't have any money left except bus fare so I gave them all I had, hoping my host mom would loan me the $3.50 it takes to ride to town. It was a bittersweet holiday. Surrounded by new people who love me and take care of me but on the other hand missing my boyfriend terribly.

No comments: