Monday, July 14, 2008

Youth Camp




I am helping with Youth Camp at VOJN/Cumbermere School. The first day I supervised the boys crafts and we worked on yarn poodles. The girls worked on coasters. I took advantage of the situation to ask the boys what grade they were in and how they felt about school. The resounding response was "I like to learn. I like all subjects. As long as I feel challenged." I can understand that sentiment. I like to feel challenged too. Another craft the girls like to work on is "beauty parlor" on Sheri's hair. If you've ever met a little Caribbean girl you will soon find out they like to plait hair. If you hold still long enough they will begin to make you a hairstyle and soon there will be 4 or 5 little girls swarming your head each grasping a section while the nearby boys look on blankly or complain about the flyaways. I understand that it's not every day an adult, especially a "white lady" comes through allowing her hair to be experimented on so I try to hold still and keep from complaining as they tug this way and that. They ask me why my hair feels so weird or what I did to it to make it so fine, straight and silky. My hair is pretty far from silky at this point after a year of intense sun, salt water and no trim. "I guess I was just born with funny hair." I say.

1 comment:

Emiliano Peseta said...

That is one fancy looking dog. Have fun at the lettuce/farewell party.