Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How do you know when you get in the groove?


Today I had an appointment in St Kitts at 2:30. My plan was to have a little break from my schedule, do some exercise and then leisurely catch the 1pm ferry. At 11 my boyfriend called to tell me he was going to work. It was at this time that I realized my computer clock had set itself back and it was in fact noon. This was bad, very bad! I need at least an hour to wait for the bus to make sure I reach at 1pm. I lunged into the shower, dressed as quickly as my clothes would unfold and gathered my forms and belongings. At 12:22 I was waiting for the bus, calling one of the drivers. He was on his way to my village. Soon a bus pulled up and I hopped in, then realized it wasn't Don! We stopped a bunch to drop people off and Don called to ask where I was, then his bus flew by! Drat...I was praying the whole time, visualizing reaching in time to catch the ferry. I repeated "I will make the one o'clock ferry, I will make the one o'clock ferry!" over and over, even though it seemed impossible as time was ticking away and we snaked through Nevis dropping people off. I did not want to deal with the implications of rescheduling. Everything is much more complicated when you have to deal with two separate islands and somewhat unscheduled modes of transportation (relying on other people completely!) At 1 pm we were still driving, reaching Charlestown. At about 7 past, I hopped off the bus, thanked the driver, waved to Don who was relaxing in his bus (should have waited!) and started running as fast as I could to the ferry terminal. A large group of people were liming near the docks, they started making noise, urging me to hurry. "Run! They are still there! No, run straight to the boat!" As I veered towards the ticket booth. I changed course and went straight for the boat, which had pulled up the ramp and swiveled slightly away from the dock. They pulled closer and helped me aboard, the adrenaline pumping and a huge smile brightening my glistening face. I did it! A small accomplishment maybe, but when everything just happens in your favor life feels great. Especially something that seems impossible at first.

4 comments:

Sheri Johnson said...

At some point my excitement became travel fiascoes. When did this happen?

Tony said...

That often happens to me ... but I always manage to get there in the end

Unknown said...

Just like in the movies!!! Wish I'd been there with the video camera!

babybird said...

your story of interconnected grooving is inspirational