Monday, February 25, 2008

Candlelight Vigil




On February 11, one of the bus drivers was killed in an accident. The news swept over the village like a black cloud. It was an emotional week. We had an emergency Rising Stars meeting (the brother of the driver is a committed member of the club) and a candlelight vigil was planned. I wanted to honor him in some way, although I didn't know him very well it hit me hard because his brother is dear to my heart. I painted some containers to put candles in, and even though it didn't work out because of extremely strong winds, it was nice to do something. I went to the funeral, stared straight ahead and willed myself to be stoic as I watched his brothers walk by, his friends, neighbors, family, coworkers, and then his coffin. I came home and cried. I cried for the loss of Perry, for his family, for his brothers (both of which I know), and I cried because of some amazing people I have met here. I don't know how to put it into words, but there are some people that just touch you and they will never know how much. It all came out with my tears.

No comments: